Why Do Musicians Play, Rather Than Just Listen?

Great question recently brought up in a LinkedIn Music Group.  Many equally great and very related answers were provided to which I could nearly say "all of the above."  Someone mentioned "pain relief," which is quite astute, touching on many levels and really hitting home with me.  I could simply claim this as reason enough but that would fall short.  When my body was smashed into many pieces I was 19, (2 years into my professional music career) my life passed over then was miraculously returned.  This second chance gave me a second sight, a rare extremely painful bone disease, constant creative drive and a desperate need to feel worthy, which I try to fulfill by offering my time and talents to Humanitarian Causes through A4H.  When immersed in writing (songs and/or freelancing for the industry), producing and most notably performing - my pain is eased far more than by any medication.  When I see toes are tapping, hear folks are singing along, I feel my music in its own small way is beneficial to the human condition.  All reasons enough for me to stay dedicated to my craft, yet far from the only ones.  There are times when worldly needs may keep my ax's hanging and studio door closed.  Then suddenly I'll realize that clinical depression has begun to set in, consequently I'm in agreement with the most common answer musicians in the group provided - that playing is an absolute necessity, just as art forever has been and will be for any artist. 



In regards to the deeper psychological aspects of the questions, a noted Psychiatrist chimed in with clinical reasons for this necessity, all of which I agreed with.  I'd like to offer an additional thought to our common "need" for playing and I'd love to hear what other players, pro or amateurs make of this; I feel it safe to say that "creative energy" can be called the fuel that gets music from our minds and into our instruments.  Further, I believe it is very closely related to our natural, life influencing "pro-creative energy" and as we age, hormones settling down (at least to some degree), this powerful drive branches out, seeking new outlets.  A petty criminal may become the latest Dr. Evil or an amateur songwriter may suddenly come out with the next chart topper.  Some who once played now and then may naturally grow into an incredibly talented player unable to imagine life without their instruments, discovering a life long avenue for creative/pro-creative energies, providing pleasure for themselves and others alike, along with helping to keep the music world alive and well - as commerce and art - the fine line all professionals must face. Something I've often thought about and in the words of C.S.N. & Y, I mention it here - "for what it's worth."

This is truly is a great question and the group provided exceptional insight into why we players do what we must.  It was reassuring to read many examples documenting the importance of music as an essential part of so many lives.  To all players out there, I wish you the best in your creative efforts and implore you to keep on shining your light and enriching the lives of listeners.  How would you answer this question? Let us know your views on the importance of music in your life, as a player, listener or both. If you question it's value, try if you can to imagine a world without music, would it be deafening or silent? 

Peace, Love & Music!

Jeff Hayford 

www.reverbnation.com/jeffhayford



Copyright, 2014 A4H Productions, all rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hollywood's Original Dynamic Duo

The Art Of Inspiration - TCM Classic Film Festival 2017

No Small Murder