A tragic loss... and a lot of misunderstanding....

I've read many insensitive remarks about the loss of the extremely talented Phillip Seymore Hoffman and they've gotten my goat.  Saying "addiction" is a choice and not a disease shows a total lack of empathy - dragons are being chased in corners of your world - I guarantee you.  It's truly an epidemic in our great land and for many reasons.  Here's one few are aware of - people from all walks of life have been severely injured in our great city's and treated in insanely busy hospitals with extremely addictive medications - it takes just one to be captured for some, then they're sent home with no proper "ween off" scripts. This leads to people seeking off the streets, far more often than anyone one realizes.  The medical profession itself, documents and admits to not knowing how to correct this horrible problem.

I know this was not the case with Hoffman, his addiction battle was well documented, even on 60 minutes. He spoke of how he brook free and later admitted to falling back.  He may well have had serious pain issues. I live in chronic pain from being smashed to pieces when a car blind sided me on my motorcycle 30 years ago.  I have an extremely rare bone disease with no known treatment and a lower leg with half the muscle gone and 13 pieces of bone that were miraculously put back together by a truly great woman.  The first 3 doctors wanted to amputate, saying there was "no hope for it."  Kathleen Robinson, RIP - did not agree, she had worked M.A.S.H. units in Korea and had seen ONE similar leg injury from a land mine.  For 4 weeks I had multiple surgeries and had to sign an approval every time.  Each time they came in I expected it to say "amputation."  Amazingly she saved it, one morning saying "we're out of the woods now," however there's just one bone, no Tibia and extensive nerve damage.  Still I prefer it over some prosthesis.  Get blown apart in a terrorist attack and you become a Rock Star - having it happen on a highway in NH gets you nothing but monstrous medical bills and severe pain.

I've tried every possible pain treatment I could find and sadly, a narcotic is the only thing that allows me to be writing now and it's very difficult to admit to this.  However, without it I would probably take my own life as my father did - the pain is just intolerable. Alcoholics are spoken of as diseased people - take a narcotic and you're just a "user."  This is a sad misconception that I hope in my small way to help correct.  I tell no one about my medications, yet "abusers" have broken into my home and stolen them - they're desperation will make them turn on their best friend or even family members.  There is a HUGE difference between people who are in genuine need and those just seeking a high.  So, yes there are many, many abusers that become diseased by their own actions. However, pigeon hole stereotyping people who take narcotics is a terrible issue for those of us truly in need, taking them properly as prescribed - not snorting or shooting up, they are the safest, historically longest known long term pain relievers.  They develop the very same chemical that our brains do to fight pain on our own.  A "high" for people like myself is feeling well enough to make our way in this world, or for me to tell this story - without being in absolute agony.

This new A4H blog is about the music and entertainment business primarily and here's the first post being somewhat off subject, sadly the recent news about Hoffman showed the world how big the misconception is when it comes to fighting the demons - self created or forced upon us - they are completely different worlds and people. Look to your hearts and realize this and find a little empathy for all who live with this battle - just don't assume they're all self inflicted wounds done by "choice."

Up Next:  How Bob Dylan suddenly got loads of money from a song he never finished writing in 1971....

Peace, enjoy good health and the beauty of every sunrise and sunset.

- Jeff H
A4H "Arts4Humanity"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hollywood's Original Dynamic Duo

No Small Murder

The Price Of Obama